Main Article Content
This study aims to investigate the challenges and teaching strategies of English teachers in District Merauke. This study is a mix-method namely the combination of qualitative and quantitative methods. 16 English teachers as the participants in the study from six high schools in Merauke district namely Senior High School 1 Merauke, Senior High School 2 Merauke, Senior High School 3 Merauke, Vocational High School 3 Merauke, Senior High School YPK Merauke, and MA Al-Munawwaroh. Data collection instruments used were questionnaires and interviews. Questionnaires used consisted of 40 statements and the interview consisted of 14 questions related to challenges and strategy of teaching English in the era of industrial revolution 4.0. As a result, challenges in the teaching and learning process are, especially for online learning. Mostly the students are constrained in technology facilities and motivation of students. While for the strategy in teaching English in industrial revolution era 4.0, by motivating students about the importance of English, providing variations in learning such as the use of video, audio, practice variety questions, using the online application (WhatsApp, google classroom, google translate, zoom, google meet, etc). Besides, by using discussions, question and answer directly, blended learning method, discovery learning, using image media, audio Lingual Method, TPR, GT, using voice note. Thus, by merging cognitive, affective, and psychomotor processes. Besides, for strategies in creating interesting and creative learning in the era of industrial revolution 4.0, by using jokes, games, giving advice, giving praise, and collaborating with native speakers in online learning.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (CC-BY) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Afrianto. (2018). Being a Professional Teacher in the Era of Industrial Revolution 4.0: Opportunities, Challenges and Strategies for Innovative Classroom Practices Afrianto Faculty of Teachers Training and Education (FKIP), Universita. English Language Teaching and Research.
- Handayani, S. (2016). Pentingnya Kemampuan Berbahasa Inggris Sebagai Dalam Menyongsong Asean. Ikatan Sarjana Pendidikan Indonesia (ISPI) Jawa Tengah.
- Ismail, A. M., & Salleh, S. M. (2016). Strategi Pengajaran dan Pembelajaran Pendidikan Islam di Sekolah Menengah Daerah Besut, Terengganu. Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris, Malaysia.
- Ismail, N. A., Wahid, N. A., Yusoff, A. S. M., Noradilah, Wahab, A., Rahim, B. H. A., … Zakaria, R. (2020). The Challenges of Industrial Revolution (IR) 4.0 towards the Teacher’s Self-Efficacy.
- Lase, D. (2019). Pendidikan di Era Revolusi Industri 4.0. SUNDERMANN: Jurnal Ilmiah Teologi, Pendidikan, Sains, Humaniora Dan Kebudayaan. https://doi.org/10.36588/sundermann.v1i1.18
- Lutfiyati, I. L. (2018). Strategi Pembelajaran Pondok Pesaantren dalam Menghadapi Tantangan Era Globalisasi (Studi Kasus di Pondok Pesantren Al-Muntaha Kota Salatiga). IAIN Salatiga. Publish Thesis.
- Miles, M. B., & Huberman, M. A. (2012). Analisis Data Kualitatif: Buku Sumber Tentang Metode-Metode Baru. In Universitas Indonesia_UI Press.
- Nurchalis, N. F. (2020). Demands of English teacher competencies: Input for curriculum development at the University. EnJourMe (English Journal of Merdeka) : Culture, Language, and Teaching of English, 5(2). https://doi.org/10.26905/enjourme.v5i2.4971
- Prasetyo, B., & Trisyanti, D. (2019). Prosiding SEMATEKSOS 3 “Strategi Pembangunan Nasional MenghadapiRevolusiIndustri 4.0” REVOLUSI INDUSTRI 4.0. Revolusi Industri 4.0 Dan Tantangan Perubahan Sosial.
- Sharma, P. (2019). Digital Revolution of Education 4.0. International Journal of Engineering and Advanced Technology (IJEAT, 9(2). https://doi.org/DOI: 10.35940/ijeat.A1293.129219
- Sugiyono. (2012). Metode Penelitian Kombinasi (Mixed Methods). Bandung: CV Alfabeta.
- Uspayanti, R. (2020). Assertive and Expressive Speech Act Used by English Teachers and Its Implications. Journal of Linguistics and English Teaching Studies, 2(1), 39–51. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.46870/lets.v2i1.52
- Uspayanti, R., Bawawa, M., Betaubun, M., Butarbutar, R., & Leba, S. M. R. (2020). The Implementation of Blended Learning Method on Chemistry Students’ Motivation in Learning English. https://doi.org/10.2991/assehr.k.201014.092
- Yahya, M. (2018). Era Industri 4.0: Tantangan dan Peluang Perkembangan Pendidikan Kejuruan Indonesia. Orasi Ilmiah Professor Bidang Ilmu Pendidikan Kejuruan Universitas Neegeri Makassar.