Main Article Content
RASDA RAHIM, 2018. Teaching Reading Comprehension Through Question Answer Relationship Strategy To The Second Semester Students of Midwifery College ofAndiMakkasauParepare.(Supervised by BasoJabu and Rafi’ahNur).
The purpose of this research was to investigate whether or not the reading ability of the second semester students of Midwifery College of Andi Makkasau Parepare can be improved through Question Answer Relationship strategy.
This research used a quasi-experimental. The subject of this research was the second-semester students of Midwifery College of Andi Makkasau Parepare. There were two classes, class B as an experimental group treated through QAR reading strategy and class A as a control group treated through 321 reading strategy. It utilized total sampling technique. The participant of each group was 40 students. The instrument used in this research was a multiple-choice reading test. The data obtained through the test were analyzed quantitatively by using t-test formula.
The research reveals that there is a significant difference between students’ reading comprehension after being taught through QAR reading strategy. It is proved by the data analysis. It is shows that the mean score of posttest is higher than the mean score of pretest (76 > 53). Besides the mean score, there was also the result of t-test to examine the research hypothesis. Based on the result data analysis, the t-score value higher than the t-table (5.371701>1,668). It is indicates that there is significance improvement of students’ reading comprehension literally, inferentially and critically after the treatment. It proves the research hypothesis that the reading comprehension ability of the second semester students of the Midwifery College of Andi Makkasau Parepare can be improved significantly through QAR reading strategy.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (CC-BY) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Beale, Abby Marks. 2013. Education Article. Skimming and Scanning: Two Important Strategies For Speeding Up Your Reading. Retreved from https://www.howtolearn.com/2013/02/skimming-and-scanning-two-important-strategies-for-speeding-up-your-reading/
- Brown, H. Douglas. 2001. Teaching by Principle: An Interactive Approach to Language Pedagogy 2nd ed. San. Fransisco:Longman
- Grabe, William.,Fredricka L Stoller. 2013. Teaching and Researching Reading. Second Edition. New York:Routledge
- Hamra, Arifuddin and Syatriana, Eny 2012.A Model of Reading Teaching for University EFL Students: Need Analysis and Model Design, Vol 5. Published journal: Canadian Centre of Science and Education
- Huges, Janette M. 2007. Education Article:Teaching Reading and literacy, K-6. Retrieved from http://faculty.uoit.ca/hughes/Reading/ReadingProcess.html. Accessed on 20th November 2017
- Lapp, Diane et al. Teaching All the Children: Strategies for Developing Literacy in an Urban Setting. New York: The Guilford Press, 2004, p. 306.
- MacLeod, Maija. Type of Reading Retrieved from http://slllc.ucalgary.ca/Brian/611/readingtype.html. Accessed on 29th November 2017
- McDonald, Karl. 2012. Different Reading Technique And When To Use Them. Retrieved from http://www.howtolearn.com/2012/08/different-reading-techniques-and-when-to-use-them/ accessed on 8th December 2016
- Nunan, David 2003. Practical English Language Teaching. New York: McGraw-Hill Companies. Inc.
- Peng, GohSwee. et al. 2007. Impact of Question-Answer-Relationships on Reading Comprehension. Singapore:Pei Chun Public School and Marymount Convent. Retrieved from http://iresearch.osprey.url3.net/iresearch/slot/u110/Alar/casestudies/ar_peichun_qar.pdf. Accessed on 11th December 2016
- Raditya, Ria. 2016. The Effectiveness of Question Answer Relationship (QAR) Strategy in Reading Comprehension Descriptive Response Text Learning on VII Grade Students of SMP Negeri 4, Sleman. E-Journal: UniversitasNegeri Yogyakarta. Retrieved from http://jurnal-mahasiswa.unisri.ac.id/index.php/fkiping/article/viewFile/337/280 p 1-9 accessed on 19th November 2017
- Raphael, Taffy E and Kathryn H. AU. 2005. “QAR: Enhancing Comprehension and Test Taking Across Grades and Content Area”.The ReadingTeacher, Vol.59, No.3, November, hlm. 206-221.
- Rothong, Apaporn. 2013. Effect of Reading Instruction Using Question Answer Relationships (QAR) and Reading Strategies on Reading Comprehension Ability of Eleventh Grade Students. Publish Thesis. Thailand: Chulalongkom University.
- Sholichah, NurulIlmiatus., RirinPusparini, S. Pd., M. Pd. 2016. The implementation of Question Answer Relationship (QAR) Strategy in Teaching Reading of Narrative Text for Tenth Grader of MAN Mojokerto.The State University of Surabaya.
- The Question Answer Relationship QAR: Strategy for Comprehension and Test Taking. Retrieved from http://www.pdfdrive.net/the-question-answer-elationship-p-qar-wikispaces-e10011659.html on 2015, on 30th April 2015.
- Woolley. 2011. Reading Comprehension: Definitions Research and Consideration.Retrieved from http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/imprint_downloads/merrill_professional/images/0205456278_C01.pdf. Accessed on 2nd August 2016