Main Article Content
This research discussed how the use herringbone technique to improve the studentsâ€™ ability in reading. This research used quasi experimental design that applied a pre-test and post-test design. The data was analyzed by using t-test. The population of this research was the eight year students of SMP Negeri 9 Parepare in academic year 2013/2014. There were two classes, a class for experimental class and a class for control class. It utilized cluster random sampling technique. The number of each class was 30 students. The instrument used in this research was reading test use of herringbone technique in learning reading. The result of this research was a significant difference between experimental group and control group. This indicates the mean score of the post-test of experimental group was 97 while that of the control group was 92. Moreover, the t-test value (7,24) was higher than t-table value (2.021). In other words, Hypothesis Alternative (H1) was accepted and Hypothesis Null (H0) was rejected. This means that Using Herringbone technique can improve the studentsâ€™ reading comprehension by using herringbone technique.
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (CC-BY) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Alan, et al. (2005). The teaching knowledge test course. Cambridge: UniversityPress.
- Anggreani. 2012. The Effect Of Herringbone Strategy Toward Studentsâ€™ Reading Ability Of Narrative Text Of Eighth Grader At Smpn 17 Kota Jambi. Unpublised Skripsi. Jambi: IKIP PGRI Jambi
- Asriadi. 2011. The Use Of Directed Reading Thinking Activity To Increase Studentsâ€™ Reading Comprehention. Unpublised Thesis. Parepare: English Language Education Department UMPAR
- Balajthy, Ernest and Sally Lipa-Wade. 2003. Struggling Readers: Assessment and Instruction in Grades K-6. New York: Guilford Press.
- Canady, Robert Lynn and Michael D. Rettig. 1996. Teaching in the Block: Strategies for Engaging Active Learners. Princeton: Eye on Education.
- Deegan,J. Herringbone Technique. Online at http: //www.teacherweb. com /PA /Nazareth Area Middle School/ The Specialist Team/ Herringbone Technique.doc [accessed 14/03/13]
- Edgar, Christopher and Gary Lenhart. 2001. The Teachers and Writers Guide to Classic American Literature. New York: Teachers & Writers Collaborative.
- Gallant, Janet A. 2008. New York State Grade 3 Elementary-Level English Language Arts Test. New York: Barrons Educational Series Inc.
- Gay, L. R. 1981. Education Research Competencies for Analysis and Application.Second Edition.Colombus Ohio. Charles E. Meril Publishing.
- Harmer, Jeremy. 1998. How to Teach English. Harlow: Addison Wesley Longman Limited.
- Hasnah. 2013. The Effectiveness Of Team Games Tournament (TGT) In Improving Students Vocabulary By Using Visual AIDS (A Case Study At Modaputa English Course ). Unpublished Thesis. Parepare: English Language Education Department UMPAR
- Isdaryanto. 2014. http://www.isdaryanto.com/definition-of-narrative-text, accesed on 1 Mei 2014)
- Keir, June. 2009. Imaginative Narratives: Perfecting the Art of Writing Stories. Greenwood: Ready-Ed Publications.
- Killen, Roy. 2006. Effective Teaching Strategies: Lessons from Research and Practice. South Melbourne: Thomson Learning Australia.
- Kothari, C. R. 2004. Research Methodology: Methods & Techniques (Second Revised Edition). New Delhi: New Age International (P) Ltd.
- McKnight, Katherine S. 2010. The Teacherâ€™s Big Book of Graphic Organizers: 100 Reproducible Organizers that Help Kids with Reading, Writing, and the Content Areas. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Mikulecky, Beatrice S. and Linda Jeffries. 1996. More Reading Power. New York: Addison-Wesley.
- Morgado Nelly Fernandez. (2009). Studentsâ€™ Performance and Perception. Journal Of The Reading Matrix, vol. 9 no. 1, April 2009.
- Nunan, D. (1988). Research methods in language learning. Cambridge: CUP.
- Rafain, Desima. 2013. The Effect Of Herringbone Technique On Studentsâ€™ Reading Comprehension In Recount Text At Second Grade Of SMPN 2 Enam Lingkung Padang Pariaman, Journal Of English Teacing, vol. 2 no. 1, September 2013, Serie A
- Rodman, Marsha L. 2007. A Study of Intensive, Systematic Direct Instruction for an Austic Child. Capella University: ProQuest.
- Romero, Angelita D. and Rene C. Romero. 1985. Developmental Reading: A Skill Text for College Students. Manila: Rex Book Store.
- Ruffin, Tiece M. (2009). Adaptations to Meet the Needs of Secondary English Language Learners with Learning Disabilities. Journal Of The Reading Matrix, vol. 9 no. 1, April 2009.
- Schug, Mark C., Sara G. Tarver, and Richard D. Western. 2001. Direct Instruction and The Teaching of Early Reading. Wisconsinâ€™s Teacher-Led Insurgency. Pp. 3.
- Saputra, Benni, 2012. The Effect Of Herringbone Technique Toward Studentsâ€™ Reading Comprehension For Tenth Grade At SMK Negeri 1 Lubuk Sikaping. Unpublished Thesis. Lubuk Sikaping: STKIP PGRI Sumatera Barat.
- Spierling, Ulrike and Nicolas Szilas (eds). 2008. Interactive Storytelling: First Joint International Conference on Interactive Digital Storytelling, ICIDS 2008, Erfurt, Germany, November 26-29, 2008, Proceedings. Berlin: Springer.
- Sugiarti, Nina. 2008. Improving Reading Comprehension Abylity Of The First Years Student Of SMKN 2 Parepare Through Sntences Strips. Unpublished Thesis. Parepare: English Language Education Department UMPAR
- Thaler, Engelbert. 2008. Teaching English Literature. Paderborn: Verlag Ferdinand SchÃ¶ningh GmbH & Co. KG.
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Graphic Organizer. Online at http:/ /www.ehow.com/ facts_ 5522538_ advantages- disadvantages-graphic-organizer.html [accessed 13/04/13]
- Learning Strategies Database. Online at http:// www.muskingum.edu/~cal /database /general /organization.html [accessed 14/03/13]
- Teaching Methods Direct Instruction. Online at http:// www.usask.ca /education /coursework /mcvittiej /methods /direct.h tml