Main Article Content
This research aims to investigate whether the use of SWELL method with fairy tale videos improves the studentsâ€™ writing ability and to find out which writing components mostly affected by the use of SWELL method. This research was conducted using a quasi-experimental design. The population of the research was the second grade students of SMPN 5 Marioriawa in academic year 2015/2016 which consisted of two classes (56 students). The sample was drawn using cluster random technique. The number of students in the class was 28 students. The research instrument used was writing test. The data obtained through the test were analyzed quantitatively by using 21.0 version of SPSS program. Based on the data analysis, the research findings reveals that there is a significant differentce of the studentsâ€™ writing skill after being taught by using SWELL method. It is proved by the data that had been processed through SPSS program. The result showed that the mean score of students in experimental group was greater than the mean score in control group (85.03>67.180, with t-test value is lower than the probability value (0.000<0.05). It indicates that there is a significant improvement of studentsâ€™ writing ability after the treatment. The writing skill of the second grade students of SMPN 5 Maroriawa can be improved significantly by using SWELL method with fairy tale videos. For the writing components that mostly affected by SWELL method. For different aspects of writing, content, organization, vocabulary, language use and mechanic, vocabulary is the most affected by the use SWELL method. The highest score in term of vocabulary was 18 with the percentage 90 with the highest converted score 87.55 categorized as very good categorization.
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (CC-BY) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Arifah, â€œThe Use of Picture to Write Narrative in Teaching Writingâ€, Unpublished Bachelor Thesis, Surabaya: English Department, IAIN Sunan Ampel, 2009.
- Brown, H. Douglas, â€œTeaching by Principles (An Interactive Approach to Language Pedagogy)â€.third edition, United States of America: Pearson Longman, 2007.
- Budiharso, T. (2005).â€Basic Writing: The Rethoric, Linguistics Features, and Material Developmentâ€. Surakarta: Pustaka Cakra.
- Davis, R. S. 1998. Captioned video: Making It Work for You. The Internet TESL Journal, Vol. IV, No. 3. (Online) http://iteslj.org/Techniques/Davis-CaptionedVideo/. Accessed on June 13th, 2015.
- Depdiknas Kurikulum, Standar Kompetensi Mata Pelajaran Bahasa Inggris Untuk Sekolah Menengah Atas dan Madrasah Aliyah. Jakarta: Pusat Kurikulum. Balitbang Depdiknas, 2004.
- Elbow, Peter & Bellanof, Pat. A Community of Writers: A Workshop Course in Writing. New York: Mc. Graw â€“ Hill Inc, 1989.
- Els, Theo van et al. 1984. Applied Linguistics and the Learning and Teaching of Foreign languages. Great Britain: Edward Arnold.
- Harmer, J. (2004). How to Teach Writing. England: Pearson.
- Herrel, L, Addrienne, & Jordan Michael. Fifty Strategies for Teaching English Language Learner Third Edition. Colombus: Merril Prentice Hall, 2008.
- Inayah Rahmawati, â€œTeaching Narrative Writing through Pop Music Video to the XI- IAI Studentsâ€, (Unpublished Bachelor Thesis, Surabaya: Language and Art English Department, UNESA, 2010)
- Meyers, Allan, Gateways to Academic Writing: Effective Sentences Paragraph and Essay, New York: Longman, 2005.
- Raimes, Ann. 1983. Techniques in Teaching Writing. New York: Oxford University Reid. Joy. M. 1993 .Teaching ESL Writing. . New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
- Suyanto, K. K. E. (2008). English for Young Learner. Jakarta: Bumi Aksara.
- Sherman, Jane, Using Authentic Video in The Language Classroom, Cambridge: University Press, 2003.
- Teo, Adeline. SWELL: A Writing Method to Help English Language Learners: English Teaching Forum. http://exchanges.state.gov/englishteachingforum/archieves/does/07-45-4.d.pdf. 2007, Accessed on June 9th 2015.