Main Article Content
This research was to find out the kinds of grammatical errors made by the students in writing undergraduate theses and to find out the most common error made by the students.
The research problem is What were the kinds of grammatical error made by the students in writing undergraduate thesis? And What was the most common grammatical error made by the students in writing undergraduate thesis?
The population of this research was the English students’ undergraduate theses. This research used cluster random sampling technique. The researchers chose 20 backgrounds of undergraduate theses as the sample.
The result of this research found eight kinds of grammatical error made by the students namely Article, Verb Tense, Subject-Verb Agreement, Singular/Plural, Word Class, Sentence Structure, Spelling, and Punctuation. The most common grammatical error made by the students in writing undergraduate theses is error in Verb Tense with 86 errors (27.65%). The next is Word Class with 55 errors (17.68%), Sentence Structure with 42 errors (13.50%), Article with 37 grammatical errors (11.89%), Punctuation with 28 errors (9%), Singular/Plural with 24 errors (7.71%), Spelling with 21 errors (6.75%), and Subject-Verb Agreement with 18 errors (5.78%).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (CC-BY) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Akil, Mansyur. The Profile of Indonesian-English Translation Made by English Department Students of Universities in Makassar. Unpublished Dissertation. Makassar: State University of Makassar. 2006.
- Arikunto, S. Prosedur Penelitian: Suatu Pendekatan Praktik. Jakarta: Rineka Cipta. 2013.
- Asfihana, Raida. The Needs of the Students Who Are Taking Grammar (Structures) IV Course at English Department of Tarbiyah Faculty Academic Year of 2012/2013. Published Journal. Banjarmasin: IAIN Antasari. 2013.
- Azar, Betty Scrampfer. Fundamentals of English Grammar, Edisi Dwibahasa. Jakarta: Binarupa Aksara. 1992.
- Bena, F. K. An error Analysis on the Translation of English Noun Phrases into Indonesian of the Fifth Semester Students of the English Department of Teacher training and Education Faculty. Published Thesis. Surakarta: Sebelas Maret University. 2010.
- Brown, H Douglas. Principles of Language Learning and Teaching. Third Edition, Prentice Hall: Prentice Hall Regents. 1994.
- 2000. Principles of Language Learning and Teaching. Fourth Edition. San Francisco State University. Pearson Education Limited.
- Chin, Beverly Ann. The Role of Grammar in Improving Student’s Writing. Porstmouth, NH. Boynton-Cook: Reed Elsevier Inc. 1998.
- Corder, S. P. Error Analysis: Perspectives on Second Language Acquisition. London: Longman. 1974.
- Error Analysis: Perspectives on Second Language Acquisition. London: Longman. 1967.
- Error Analysis and Interlanguage. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 1981.
- Introducing Applied Linguistics. Harmondsworth: Penguin Education. 1973.
- Debata, P. K. The Importance of Grammar in English Teaching – A Reassessment. Language in India, Vol. 13:5. 2013, May.
- Dulay, H. Burt, M, & Krashen, S. Language Two. New York: Oxford University Press. 1982.
- Ellis, R. The Study of Second Language Acquisition. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 1994.
- SLA Research and Language Teaching. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 1997.
- Fraenkell, Jack. R and Wallen, Norman. E. How to design and Evaluate research in Education. New York: Oxford University Press. 1993.
- Gie, T. L. Terampil Mengarang. Yogyakarta. Andi. 2002.
- Ginting, Yesica. Analisis Kesalahan Gramatikal Pada Intisari Skripsi Mahasiswa Program Studi Pendidikan Bahasa Inggris. Published Thesis. Yogyakarta: Universitas Gadjah Mada. 2017.
- Hatch, F, & Farhady. Research Design and Statistics for Applied Linguistics. Los Angeles. Newbury House Publisher.Inc. 1982.
- Hornby, A.S. Oxford Advanced Dictionary of Current English. Oxford. Oxford University Press. 1974.
- Ibrahim, M. Common Grammatical Errors in Students’ Writing at MAN 1 Parepare. Unpublished Thesis. Makassar: State University of Makassar. 2015.
- Jabeen, Aqsa. The Role of Error Analysis in Teaching and Learning of Second and Foreign Language. Education and Linguistic Research. 2015, Vol. 1, No. 2.
- Al-Khresheh, M. H. A Review Study of Error Analysis Theory. International Journal of Humanities and Social Science Research, 2, 49-59. 2016, March.
- Kohli, A. L. Techniques of Teaching English. Delhi: Dhanpat Rai & sons. 1984.
- Leo, S. Kiat Jitu Menulis dan Menerbitkan Buku. Jakarta: Erlangga. 2010.
- Li, Lan-jie. Zhan, Ying, and Deng, Peng-hua. The Application of Error Analysis Theory in Translation Module Teaching to Non-English Majors. International Conferense on Education, Management and System Engineering. China: Xi’an Research Institute of Hi-Tech. 2017 2nd.
- Mahmoodzadeh, M. A cross-linguistic study of prepositions in Persian and English. The effect of Transfer Theory and Practice in Language Studies, 734-740. 2012, April.
- Munawir. Error Analysis in English Abstracts of Theses and Dissertations of Post Graduate Program of Universities in Makassar. Unpublished Thesis. Makassar: State University of Makassar. 2014.
- Nurikawati, L. Eliwarti, & Ras, F. An Analysis on Grammatical Error in Writing Paragraph by the Second Semester students at English Study Program Universitas Riau. Published Journal. Pekanbaru: Universitas Riau. 2016.
- Oxford Learner’s Pocket Dictionary. China: Oxford University Press 2005
- Pranowo. Teori Belajar Bahasa: Untuk Guru Bahasa dan Mahasiswa Jurusan Bahasa. Yogyakarta: Pustaka Pelajar. 2014.
- Robinson, L, and feng, J. Effect of Direct Grammar Instruction on Student Writing Skills. Presented at Eastern Educational Research Association Annual Conference. South Carolina: Hilton Head Island. 2016, February.
- Savignon, Sandra J. Communicative Language Teaching: State of the Art. TESOL QUARTERLY. Vol. 25. No. 2. 1991.
- Sharif, F. D, and Hassani, M. Error Analysis of the Grammatical Patterns in the English Translation of the Abstracts of the Persian Articles in the Iranian Published Academic Journals. Tehran: International Journal for Teachers of English, Vol. 7. 2016.
- Subroto. Ibnu, and Rosalinah, Y. Grammar and Critical Thinking Effects Towards Student’s Writing Skill at SMK Ksatrya in Central Jakarta. Jakarta: Progressive Vol. XII, No. 2. 2017.
- Sun, Liwei. The Importance of Grammar Teaching at College. International Conference on Frontiers in Educatioal Technologies and Management Science. Jilin: Jilin Agricultural Science and Technology College. 2017.
- Susilawati, and Sulhan, M. Analisis Kesalahan Penggunaan Kata Kerja Beraturan dan Tidak Beraturan pada Karangan Narasi. DEIKSIS, Vol. 10, No. 01. 65-73. 2018, Januari.
- Tarigan, H. G. Menulis: Sebagai Suatu Keterampilan Berbahasa. Bandung: Angkasa. 2008.
- Wang, G. H, and Wang, Seok-Dong. Explicit Grammar instruction for EFL Writing and Editing:An Exploratory Study at a Korean University. Seoul: Horizon Research Publishing. 2014.
- Wikipedia. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammar. Accessed 28th March 2018.