Main Article Content
A good technique is required by the students to help them in acquring, extending and developing their English vocabulary. The aims of this research is to investigate the effects of personal vocabulary note (PVN) technique through Al-Qur'an in improving students' English vocabulary mastery. This study was an experimental model consisting of two groups: experimental and control group; it was conducted at Islamic Boarding School of Babul Khaer Kalumeme Bulukumba, South Sulawesi. Samples of the study were 30 students, 15 students were experimental group and 15 students were control group. The data were collected with pre-test, treatment and post-test. Writeen vocabulary test was administered to both groups of experimental and control; and it was analyzed and interpreted by means of SPSS 18.0 program. The results of the research indicated that personal vocabulary note technique through Al-Qur'an gives significant effect on students' vocabulary improvement. The result of the students' vocabulary score improvement from pre-test to post-test demonstrated significant differences. The research found that sig. (2-tailed) is 0.000 lower than 0.05. Comparison of the students' improvement beteween the two groups was 0.000 which meant that the improvement was significant.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (CC-BY) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Aprillianty, Priska. 2014. The Effectiveness of Personal Vocabulary Notes (PVN) Technique on Students’ Vocabulary Understanding. Thesis: faculty of Tarbiyah and Teachers’ Training Syarif Hidayatullah State Islamic University, Jakarta
- Brown, Dean, J. 1995. The Elements of Language Curriculum. Heinle & Heinle Publishers. An International Thomson Publishing Company, Massachusetts 02116 U.S.A.
- Cambridge Advanced Learner’s Dictionary. 2003. Cambridge University Press
- Cohen, L., Manion, L., and Morisson, K. 2005. Research Methods in Education. Fifth Edition. RoutledgeFalmer.
- Darti. 2012. Using Personal Vocabulary Notes (PVN) Technique to Develop Students’ Vocabulary. Thesis: Faculty of Teachers Training and Education, Muhammadiyah University, Makassar.
- Depdiknas. 2006. Kurikulum 2006: Standar Kompetensi SMA/MA, Jakarta: Dharma Bakti
- Gay, L.R., Mills, G.E., and Airasian, P. 2006. Educational Research: Competencies for Analysis and Applications. The Eighth Edition. New Jersey: Merrill Publisher.
- Harmer, Jeremy. 1993. The Practice of English Language Teaching: London: Longman Group.
- Hughes, Arthur. 2003. Testing for Language Teachers. Second Edition. Cambridge University Press.
- Kurzweil, Joshua. 2002. The Internet TESL Journal, Vol. VIII, No. 6. Cambridge University Press.
- Mertens, Donna M. & McLaughlin, John A. 2004. Research and Evaluation Method in Special Education. A Sage Publications Company 2455 Teller Road Thousand Oaks, California. Corwin Press, Inc.
- Nation, I.S.P. 1990. Teaching and Learning Vocabulary. Newbury House Publishers, A Division of Harper & Row, Publishers, Inc.
- Pikulski, John J. and Templeton Shane. 2004. Teaching and Developing Vocabulary: Key to Long-Term Reading Success. Current Research in Reading/Language Arts. Houghton Mifflin Company.
- Timotius, Eusabinus Bunau, Dewi Novita. 2011. Improving Students’ Ability in Vocabulary Mastery through Personal Vocabulary Notes. Thesis: Teachers Training and Education Faculty of Tanjungpura University, Pontianak.
- Wulandari, Anita. 2015. The Effect of Personal Vocabulary Notes on Vocabulary Knowledge at the seventh grade students of SMP Muhammadiyah Palangka Raya. Thesis: Faculty of Teacher Training and Education of the State Islamic Institute of, Palangka Raya.