Main Article Content
This paper is a flouting maxim analysis in Sapa Indonesia Malam talk show at Kompas TV in which Jerinx or I Gede Ari Astina became a guest star in this talk show. The present study aims to analyze a conversation and dig out information about flouting maxims. The framework of analysis will use in the flouting Maxim of Grice’s Cooperative Principles (Geis et al., 1976). The flouting maxim has four maxims, and those are quality, quantity, relation, and manner. The method of this study was qualitative by using the utterances in the video conversation from the talk show in Sapa Indonesia Malam as analysis material, and the data were extracted from the video. This study's instrument was the transcript text of the utterances between the hosts and Jerinx as a guest star consisting of flouting maxims. The data were analyzed by using flouting of the maxim in Discourse Analysis’ concept. This paper attempts to investigate the flouting maxims that mostly appear in the video conversation and determine the cause or reason for the maxim to emerge. The researchers comprehended the types of flouting maxims in the talk show, and then the researchers determined the types selected into categories based on guests' utterances. After that, the researchers analyzed the predetermined types. The study found some floutings of the maxims of relation. There were 50% maxims of relation flouted by speakers, and from nine flouting maxims, the four data had the most reasons for appearing in the conversation.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (CC-BY) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Aisya, N., & Fitrawati. (2019). An analysis of flouting of maxim performed by politician guests in Mata Najwa Talk Show in the episode of Adu Lantang Jelang Penentuan and Babak Akhir Pilpres. E-Journal of English Language & Literature, 8(4), 42–55.
- Al-Qaderi, I., & Alduais, A. (2019). The cooperative principle in political discourse: Flouting Gricean maxims in Modern Standard Arabic political speeches. Research Result. Theoretical and Applied Linguistics, 5(3), 3–13. https://doi.org/10.18413/2313-8912-2019-5-3-0-1
- Amer, M. A., & Rogayah, A. R. (2017). R3: Effects of phonological and semantic cues on word learning among Jordanian preschool children with SLI. Medical Journal of Malaysia, 72(Supplement 2), 20.
- Ayasreh, A. M., Al-Sabti, N., Suleiman Awwad, A., Mansoor, M., & Razali, R. (2019). Instances of violation and flouting of the maxim by Gaddafi interview during the Arab Spring. International Journal of English and Education, 8(1), 185–193.
- Aziz, Z. A., Mustafa, F., & A’la, P. N. (2019). Flouting maxims as a sense of humor in Indonesian speech acts. Indonesian Journal of EFL and Linguistics, 4(2), 169–180. https://doi.org/10.21462/ijefl.v4i2.156
- Cutting, J. (2002). Pragmatics and Discourse. London: Routledge.
- Dwiwulandari, R., & Dewanti, R. (2020). The analysis of Conversational Implicature in an Extensive Listening of BBC Learning English Podcast. In Stairs (Vol. 1, Issue 1).
- Ekah, M.-H., & Akpan, A. N. (2018). Discourse-Syntax interface: A study of Gricean Maxims in Computer-Mediated Discourse. Language in India, 18(2), 187–203.
- Finch, G. (2000). Linguistic terms and concepts. Springer.
- Geis, M. L., Cole, P., & Morgan, J. (1976). Syntax and Semantics. The Modern Language Journal, 60(5/6), 301. https://doi.org/10.2307/324613
- Gumperz, J. J. (1982). Studies in Interactional Sociolinguistics 2: Language and social identity. In Discourse.
- Hall, J. K., & Walsh, M. (2002). Classroom interaction and language learning. In Annual Review of Applied Linguistics (Vol. 22, Issue 1, pp. 186–203).
- Ibrahim, Z., Arifin, B., & Setyowati, R. (2018). The flouting of maxim in the se7en movie script. Jurnal Ilmu Budaya, 2(1), 81–94.
- Khosravizadeh, P., & Sadehvandi, N. (2011). Some instances of violation and flouting of the Maxim of Quantity by the main characters (Barry & Tim) in Dinner for Schmucks. 2011 International Conference on Language Literature and Linguistics, 26, 122–127.
- Landscape, L. (2017). CONFERENCE.
- Lestari, N. G. (2019). An analysis of flouting maxims in conversation Speaking of the main character in the movie of Home Alone 2 “Lost in New York” by John Hughes. Jurnal JOEPALLT (Journal of English Pedagogy, Linguistics, Literature, and Teaching), 7(1). https://doi.org/10.35194/jj.v7i1.537
- Levinson, S. (1983). Pragmatics - part 1 of 2. Cambridge University Press, 1–9.
- Marlisa, R., & Hidayat, D. N. (2020). The Analysis of Flouting Maxim in Good Morning America (GMA) Talkshow. Englisia: Journal of Language, Education, and Humanities, 7(2), 137–149. https://doi.org/10.22373/ej.v7i2.6630
- Nastiti, A. P. (2018). The use of Implicature to create humor as creative Principle Violation on humorous advetisement. Высшей Нервной Деятельности, 2, 227–249.
- Rahmi, S. S., Refnaldi, R., & Wahyuni, D. (2018). The violation of Conversational Maxims found in political conversation at Rosi Talkshow. E-Journal English Language and Literature, 7(1).
- Rowe, B. M., & Levine, D. P. (2018). A concise Introduction to Linguistics. In A Concise Introduction to Linguistics. https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315227283
- Safitri, M. L., Seken, K., & Putra, A. J. N. (2012). Observance and Non-Observance of Gricean Maxims in Instructional Context : an Analysis of Efl Classroom Interaction.
- Schneider, K. P. (2012). Pragmatics. In Areal Features of the Anglophone World (pp. 463–486). https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315760483-11
- Sembiring, E & Ghozali, I. (2017). An analysis of maxims flouting in “The Jungle Book” movie script. Journal of English Language and Language Teaching (JELLT), 1(2), 33–39.
- Taylor-Rubin, C., Croot, K., Power, E., Savage, S. A., Hodges, J. R., & Togher, L. (2017). Communication behaviors associated with successful conversation in semantic variant primary progressive aphasia. International Psychogeriatrics, 29(10), 1619–1632. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1041610217000813
- Thomas, J. (2013). Meaning in interaction: An introduction to Pragmatics. Routledge.
- Virgin, J. A., & Utami, C. P. (2017a). Dominant maxim violations in “Behind the Lawyer Profession” of Hitam Putih Talk Show. 82(Conaplin 9), 185–188. https://doi.org/10.2991/conaplin-16.2017.40
- Virgin, J. A., & Utami, C. P. (2017b). Dominant maxim violations in “Behind the Lawyer Profession” of Hitam Putih Talk Show. 185–188. https://doi.org/10.2991/conaplin-16.2017.40
- Wahyudi, A., Yusuf, S., & Lestari, Z. W. (2020). Maxim’s flouting: An analysis of classroom interaction. Journal of English Education and Teaching (JEET), 4(1), 1–13.
- Zebua, E. (2017). The violation and flouting of Cooperative Principles in the Ellen Degeneres Talk Show. Language Circle - Journal of Language and Literature, 12(1), 103–113.