Main Article Content
The objective of this study focused on the effect of paired conversation activity by utilizing news-based materials in improving the studentsâ€™ speaking skill. The students were supposed to comprehend the content of news-based materials and then explain and conclude the essential things from the news orally. It was focused on improving the studentsâ€™ productive skill that is speaking skill. This research covered different topics of news taken from some resources such as; international yahoo news, BBC news, YouTube, magazine, and other mass media. In this research, the students also be expected to search and discover the course materials by themselves from internet, television etc. They discussed the topics of news-based materials with his/her pair. They started to discuss the news by using W-H questions, namely; who, what, where, why, when, and how. The lecturer has role as facilitator and consultant of the students in learning. It involved several learning activities, such as; preparing the news-based materials taken from BBC news, international yahoo news, magazine, etc, making group in pair, reading carefully the news-based materials, discussing the essential things from the news, conclude the news orally, and presenting in front of the class. This study was experimental research design and applied quantitative method. The students of English Education Study Program of Muhammadiyah University of Parepare taken as the subject of this research. They were taught speaking course through the implementation of paired conversation activity by utilizing news-based materials. Through this treatment, it was found out that paired conversation activity by utilizing news-based materials has good effects in improving the studentsâ€™ speaking skill. Besides, the students also gave positive responses toward the application of paired conversation activity by utilizing news-based material for teaching-learning EFL speaking. This technique allows the students got the good opportunity to speak at length and helps them to develop their oral language proficiency.
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (CC-BY) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Aswad, Muhammad. 2017. â€œIs It Truly Improvisational Exercise Push Studentsâ€™ Speaking Ability.â€ EDUVELOP (Journal of English Education and Development) 1 (1): 9â€“17.
- BBC World Service. 2003. Learning English Better Speaking. A Guide to Improve Your Spoken English. British Broadcasting Corporation.
- Boonkit. 2010. Enhancing the Development of Speaking Skills for Non-Native Speakers of English. Thailand: Elseiver. Accessed: Wednesday, â€ŽFebruary â€Ž20, â€Ž2015.
- Brown. 2000. Teaching by Principles. United States of America: Longman. Accessed: Wednesday, â€ŽFebruary â€Ž20, â€Ž2015
- Brown. 2004. Language Assessment Principle and Classroom Practice. San Francisco: Longman. Accessed: Wednesday, â€ŽJanuary â€Ž18, â€Ž2015.
- DeSteffen, Christopher. 2015. The Effect of a Topic-Based Paired Conversation Activity on the Confidence of Japanese EFL Students to Utilize English Orally. International Journal of English Language Teaching, Volume 2, No. 2, 2015. http://ijelt.sciedupers.com. Accessed on 3 Maret 2016.
- Gay, L.R., Mills, Geoffrey E., Airasian, Peter. 2006. Educational Research: Competencies for Analysis and Applications (8th Edition). Upper Saddle River, New Jersey Columbus, Ohio: Pearson.
- Harmer, J. 2001. The Practice of English Language Teaching. Cambridge: Longman. Accessed: â€ŽWednesday, â€ŽJanuary 18, â€Ž2015.
- Harmer, Jeremy. The Practice of English Language Teaching. Third Edition. United Kingdom: Cambridge Press.
- Harumi, S. 2011. Classroom Silence: Voices from Japanese EFL Learners. ELT Journal, Page 260-269. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/elt/ccq046.
- Jabu, Baso. 2008. English Language Testing. Makassar: Badan Penerbit UNM.
- Jodai, Hojat. 2011. An Introduction to Psycholinguistics. Published Journal, The University of Guilan.
- Panambunan, Emelia, Golda J. Tulung, and Mister Gidion Maru. 2016. Improving Students Speaking Ability Through Communicative Language Teaching of the Second Level Students at â€œMEC Megalia English Course. JELLT Volume 1, No. 1, November 2016. Accessed on 5 July 2017.
- Safwandi. 2016. Teaching Speaking with The Teams-Games Tournaments Technique. English Education Journal (EEJ), Volume 7, Issue 2, Page 206-218. Universitas of Syiah Kuala, Banda Aceh. Accessed on 3rd September 2017.
- Tim Marchand and Rowlett, Benedict. 2013. Course Design in the Digital Age: Learning Through Interaction with News-Based Materials. Journal of CAMTESOL, Language Education in Asia (LEiA), Volume 4, Issue 2.
- Tim Marchand, English Language Program, J. F. Oberlin Unversity, Machida, Tokyo, Japan. Benedict Rowlett, Department of Commerce, Chuo University, Hachioji, Tokyo, Japan.
- Torky. 2006. The Effectiveness of a Task- Based Instruction program in Developing the English Language Speaking Skills of Secondary Stage Students. Ain Shams University. Accessed: Wednesday, â€ŽMay â€Ž20, â€Ž2015.
- Trinity. Language Activities for a Communicative Classroom. London: CBSE. Accessed: Tuesday, January 5, 2015.
- Watanabe, M. 2013. Willingness to Communicate and Japanese High School Language Learners. The Japan Association for Language Teacher Journal. Page 153-1